Shame: Christians view

What is Shame defined as?
 "a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior."
Being Christian these feelings come full force , when we know we have done something wrong against God's Word and teachings. I can name various times where I have struggled with shame in my life, its not an easy feeling to wish away. I guess one huge example I can name , is having sex before marriage I made the mistake of believing it was something to take lightly. But as I dive further and understand the lord more and his plan for his children I know that I was in the wrong. I was the one who saw this as a time to somehow defy what I believed in. And I feel shame for it , there are days where I hate myself for the fact I gave in to lust. But when we hide is when God , reminds us he starts to call us back into his arms. In the chapter of genesis , we are given the story of Adam and Eve and as soon as they ate from the tree of knowledge they became ashamed of what they had done.  I believe myself that is the first time , shame was ever noted. When we feel shameful we want to hide we want to pretend whatever act we did is not there but we did do it. Its like the time when we were smaller we broke something and then ran and hid. From our parents because we were ashamed of what we did and we wanted to hide from it. As quoted from Jefferson bethke "shame cuts us off from intimacy , vulnerability and transparency. When our imperfections are exposed our natural inclination isn't to step into the spotlight but to hide from it." 
No matter our feelings ,  God reminds us that we are his children and that we should not hide. But rather turn to him. Embrace that if we stray from him he will come back with open arms to embrace his lost child. He is wanting us to have that intimate relationship with him.. to truly drop everything the mask , the act and the things that we keep hidden from him. When we do that he rejoices because we have fully given ourselfs to him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I could..

College Girl Giveaway !

TV Watching , This is what I do ...